Sunday, April 19, 2015

Bird Box by Josh Malerman


I just read Big Little Lies by Lianne Moriarty and wanted some grit. I scrolled through the Kindle app deciding on Bird Box by Josh Malerman. I was so surprised that I hung in after the first few chapters as I am always tentative with Dystopian books (it is also what I would consider horror, psychological thriller, and Sci Fi.) I tip toe into these frightening future books with a weak stomach, heart palpitations, dear God, this will be US someday which leads to a freeway of neurotic thoughts rendering me quite useless to where I will set the book aside.

Why are we so inclined to read about  Dystopian stories when life is quite crazy enough here in the now? I think it's a basis of what we need to know about survival. Each book I read starting with The Road has provided ideas in my head about surviving any horrible change in circumstance where our little lives change as we know it.

The Story:
Malorie is a pregnant young woman living with her sister, Shannon. Reports are coming in from all over that people are being killed with such gruesome fervor that they decide to stay put in their home. Covering all portals to the outside, they live in this world of not being able to wander outside anymore as the creatures will kill you if you open your eyes. What these creatures are, they don't know.

Unfortunately, Malorie is forced to flee her home and find a house that is a refuge of some sort. She drives with her eyes closed to get there. She finds a group of survivors that take her in.

The book shifts between  four years later with Malorie in a row boat gliding down a river to get to a new place with two children in tow. All blindfolded. Vague references to life before, she continues on down the river with all the twists and turns of a Stephen King novel.

You have no idea what the hell is going on but that was when I finally settled into the book. How is THIS going to work, this blindfold thing, who are these kids, and where are they going... She calls the boy "Boy" and the girl, "Girl." Which is strange. Who are these survivors, who are the creatures, what is going to happen to all of them?? From there I was hooked.

We go back and forth between the river back to the house of an eclectic group of survivors. Here we start to see the dynamics in a group of people and how they function in this new world. And how they do not function.

Later a new person emerges knocking on the door and things start to change.

It's a brilliantly executed story by this smart  young writer. Plot is perfect, characters rich, writing was A+. Seriously. I am not gushing.  I really liked this book because I will never forget it. It is one of those books that sticks to the ribs in your brain.

I hope the author does well in his future. I hope that perhaps he writes more about these characters, though I am not a huge fan of series I would go back and visit them again. I cared about them that much.

Buy it.
Loan it out to your friends.

No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...