Sunday, March 22, 2015

Decision has been made after batting a wary eye




This is my daughter, Christa. When she is trying to decide something she tunes out but keeps a wary eye on me. After her own quiet deliberation she will choose. Then go back to ignoring me completely. 

This one decision of mine cannot be ignored. But you can bet my eye is wary. The kid got it honest.

There is a lot of pressure out there, or so I have read, that reviewing books should be this way or that. Either be nice with your reviews or be honest. Or be nice and honest, or be one big blistering ninja, oh the variances in the arguments! 

Personally, I hate to pan a book. Someone took the time to pen it, peddle it and pray for the book to be successful. Since I know a small group of authors I understand the pain and frustration that goes into a book and it's total aftermath.

On the other hand... If a book is badly written it is badly written. I mean, I know it may appeal to the masses but so does cotton candy. Doesn't necessarily mean it's "good" (for you.) I will be the first person to say I disliked (hate is a toxic word) Fifty Shades of Grey and stand in a long line of people that disliked this series as well. I simply could not get past the plot. Seriously, it was so faulty and untrue that even the suspension of belief had a nervous breakdown. I won't pick on the writing, because, well... I am not a snob in grammar and such as I tend to need fifty shades of editors to get my sentences straight. (I do. I am a nurse, speak in acronyms and live in New Jersey where the slang is completely incomprehensible.)  I cannot pick on the writing. Though I will say this. It could have been BETTER. 

And really, we have so many varying opinions with this argument that I am going to go with my heart, my guts, my new kidney and pancreas (okay they are fifteen years old but who is counting?) If I don't like a book I will say why I do not like the book without being mean or irrational.

If it is really really woeful. It never happened. Okay?

This argument has been going around my conflicted brain for months now. I do not want to be cruel but I am not going to lie. 

And I deeply apologize for picking the most cliched book to dislike and use as an example.

No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...