Friday, August 22, 2014

Monkey mind and reading

We all know how crazy life is now that we are online. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, email, Goodreads, and every other web nook and cranny we like to immerse ourselves into. And it has taken quite a toll on how people read books. Not a scientific source here (please do NOT quote me, ever) but most of my friends tell me that when they read they either fall asleep or tune into a thousand other places and give up on a book all together. Some manage all three things at the same time and they are Gods to me.
I understand and do the very same thing. In fact even this blog is taking away from precious reading time. But this is how we are now and I am trying to accept it, as well as figure out a way to read more while dealing with all my favorite online stops.
I miss reading a book. One book. Singular. For long periods of time.
In fact, I miss having that one book as my source of pleasure. Not that I am a hermit and sit in a corner but I did like the old days of actually sitting in the quiet of my home and reading A book. Now - electronically - we have thousands right at our finger tips. My Kindle is bulging, my eReader on my iPad was not even going to be USED until I figured out that there was another place where I could get cheap books rather quickly. I fear I will insanely pack it before I know it. And we will not discuss my real book hoarding issues. Maybe a pic when I trust all of you enough to allow a good chuckle.
So I am reading about five books at one time, though my right hand column says three.
I am digging The Hot Zone the most. It's fast paced and the writer weaves science into a huge story. I like that. And viruses.
I take turns reading the five books, but most often stick to one I find "the most" compelling.
My chief want is to read one book at a time, though I am not so sure the Interwebs will allow this.
Ever again.

No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...