Monday, January 10, 2022

Reading goals for 2022: A deep dive



πŸ“šπŸ“š☕️☕️

As in all things, you have the reading goal folks and the reading by the seat of their pants, “I am a mood reader” they say. I am a mood reader too, but I still want to make some reading goals this year. After all, most of us are home, thanks to the Rona, we have loads of time to read, right? We can goal set, we can mood read or do both. Or not read. There is no cause to be dramatic about this debacle.

 

For two or three years I utilized the Goodreads challenge until last year. I felt that I was sick of the pressure, sick of the Rona because it makes me tired. I fall asleep all the time, I am home so it’s a place to sleep a place to nap a place to lie down. A lot. Every single damn time I picked up a book I would pin my eyelids to my eyebrows and STILL fall asleep. As 2021 which became a thing, (Jan 1st) I jabbed my finger onto  the Goodreads app and set my goal at 25 and I was even hostile over that number.  I had had it.




 

By December when Goodreads tally up all your reading stats, I realized that I read some shit books on top of the pathetic but vile stance I took on giving up.

 

I mean, I did read some good books, but as a reader I was appalled over how they  collectively looked like a bunch of moldy books dying a slow death in a Free Little Library.

 

This year I slapped down 75 in the challenge, started doing my usual “have to read seven  books in January” rule to get a head start and choosing my books ever so wisely. More on that in another blog.

 

Tips to keep in mind.

  • ·      Do not compare yourself to other readers. Voracious or plucky, you, my dear, are the best kind of reader ever. I totally believe in you.
  • ·      The best way to avoid a bad year in reading, do whatever you want to do along  with a tiny goal (that doesn’t need to be announced on Goodreads) and make a tiny list of the books you really want to read. Go tiny. 
  • ·      Sail on over to Youtube and put “booktubers top ten books in * year” in and a plethora of top ten vids will pop up.  Set aside a bit of time, make a pot of  coffee and watch. I listed eleven or twelve books as MUST read  in 2022 and if that’s ALL I read I am good.
  • ·      I’ll list my favorites in a blog. I will try to cover most genres.
  • ·      If a book sucks and you are cursing loudly by the second or third chapter ditch it. There is no psychological DSM diagnosis for hating a book. None. Chemistry is chemistry. This crap is personal!

 

And most of all? Love yourself- hug yourself and feel blessed that you are a reader. No matter what type, what genre, what type of year of goals or mood reading you favor, nothing is written in stone (well, some things are, stop it) you can do whatever you want. 

Just read.




 

Cheryl 

 

No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...