Sunday, January 11, 2015

Reading: when it takes a back seat


January is one of the best times to read and I haven't been able to get past the first chapter of Unbroken. Not that I think it's a terribly boring book, it's quite the opposite, I just can't seem to get through some very important life distractions that seem to be taking up a lot of life-space. When I get like this I usually reach for short stories or magazines. It helps to "brief" so I feel that I am, at the very least, engaged in the one of the areas of my life that is a happy place.

Unbroken is wonderful, I know this, the first chapter is a good indicator. I am anticipating getting back to it as I do want to see the movie. Last night I finally caved to the film, Silver Linings Playbook as I know I won't read the book any time soon. (Fabulous movie, by the way.)  It's quite a struggle, book vs. film. And this is because I have so many TBR piles that naturally, the cave in to a film is easier than fitting in "one more book."  Especially now. But I am going to stand firm with Unbroken.

The new year starts a bit distracted, off kilter and strange, rest assured, book nerds like me always finds a way back to the disciplined book life. I know I will. For now I will continue to tip toe through Unbroken and my short stories (I read all my magazines yesterday. I can tell you what lipstick is in for Spring.)  


* The photo up top? Only one of many piles of TBR books in my bedroom I purposely tipped it over for the snap. I have to get them all in order someday. I think it's time to take all the books I have read off my shelves and replace them with all the TBRs. That way I know what I have.

No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...