Sunday, December 21, 2014

Passing on our legacy... in a stocking.


The magic of book/bookish gift giving at Christmas! Being a book lover and giver yields wondrous bookish things. It's those books and bookish gifts that makes my holiday the most special, especially the giving part. I do my very best to give books to family and friends, even if they are not readers, and all these neat things? Many will fit right into a stocking.


How fabulous is that? 
And no. I don't know that person but she makes some pretty cool things.

My mom gave me a butterfly made out of book pages (try not to groan, I know this makes people crazy.) It is  beautiful and has a prime spot on my tree. Here is a close up:

Thank you, Mom.

My daughter had her Scholastic Book Fair a couple of weeks ago and these books are what she picked out:


For a long time I had filled out the order sheet  for her, as she has Cerebral Palsy. . I  found out a few years back that she wanted to pick out her own books. I felt such elation, this was a child who wasn't supposed to talk, see, or hear. She does all three (a bit too much most of the time, but who is complaining?) 

I am not digressing, I needed to share that. (smile.)

Scholastic Books are a cheaper way to stock up on holiday book gifts for the kids you know. And the selection is always spot on for any age/kid's taste.


We like to have our book piles on floors or standing up against things here in our home, visual accessibility is a high priority. We can each grab a book at any time, look at them and think of the person that gave us that book and sit back with a nice hot cup of tea and read.
And how many of those books were gifts? Lots!  I can list off ten people who had given me some of those books. 



There are also socks. Yes, Socks. My friend, Anne, found a place that sells socks for the book lover. Check them out!
(Great stocking stuffers!)

http://store.bookriot.com/collections/socks

So, we covered book decorations, children's books, piles of gift books that were given to me, and socks. Socks!

A good start to your list making.

The holiday (all of them represented) is a perfect time to buy book items for the stocking, no matter how small or large it may be. As in each person's life, a book should be presented to them by you so they have a chance to say, "I may like this. I may not." Each time you give a book or bookish gift, they may not cave or maybe they will come back to you and say, "Hey, that Nelson DeMille you gave me? I read four of his other books since then, thank you, and those socks? Perfect!"

And you will weep.
Trust me. You. Will.

I have one more blog to write and then it's a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Kwanzaa. I wish you all the best for your holidays, with good family, good friends, good food, good conversations and most of all, good books! May you be blessed always. ~Cheryl

No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...