Friday, November 7, 2014

Outlander, reading over the holidays, and mothers

I tried reading this book years ago. At the time I wasn't impressed. I don't know why, I am not sure what I was into reading back then, but time travel wasn't my cup of tea.

Until I became a rabid Dr. Who fan.
NOT that these two have a thing in common (prove me wrong, I really don't know.)

My mom handed Outlander by Diana Gabaldon to my yesterday. Try it, she said.
So, last night I started it, knowing I couldn't read just this second, and loved it. I fell IN love with it. How does that happen years later with a book?
I suppose books are like people to readers, some you may not prefer until you meet up with them again later in life. A pleasant surprise in most cases.

I am tearing through three books right now but I know that once I get into this book I may not come out for a while, as Mom showed the rest of her series to me sitting brightly on her bookshelf..
And. She pointed out,  you only get one book at a time.
Crestfallen I stayed mute on that one, she knows my complete non-disciplined personality when it comes to series of that magnitude.

Moving on:. The best books seem to be released now thanks to the holidays which calls for tightening up the old TBR list. I had to shuffle some books around and fitting in Outlander is going to be rough. After all, I swore up and down I would NOT start a big book during the holidays as The Goldfinch was read through Christmas and New Year's 2013. What a disservice for Ms. Tartt! And for me! Lovely book, I may have to re-read the beginning in June next year to absorb it a bit better.

Photo by me, that lovely afghan was made by my Gan ( aka grandmom on my mother's side, you will hear more about Gan as I go along.) Wonderful woman who passed the love of books through out our whole family.  May she rest in Heaven's library's peace.



No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...