Saturday, September 27, 2014

Da Burds: A Tale of Birding, The Mob, and Redemption by John Hartmann

John Hartmann who wrote Jacket (my next review) as well as a couple of other books wrote this wonderful short book.. And it is very close to my heart. Living in Jersey, exposed to a book  about a  bird competition and the mob written by Hartmann with his keen sense of humor, well, that's a win-win for me!
And would be for anyone that liked the Sopranos which was sadly lacking birds. I think.

My exuberant review on Amazon and I meant this review with all my Jersey being!


Verified Purchase
After watching the entire Sopranos series back to back last year, I am still grieving over not having it on my nightly viewing schedule. This novella gave me a slice of what I have been missing. Adding the world's largest birding competition in the mix, I felt it deserved a high score, due to Hartmann's creativity with mixing the two into a superb story.
A story I do not want to spoil for readers, I will be brief with the premise. Preston Brooks owes Tony "Screws" Cavalucci a lot of money. As we all know through fiction and non-fictional historical accounts, this is never good. Preston is one of the judges for the world's largest birding competition which may be his way out of leaving the world early for lack of payment to the mob. Tony forms a birding team and from there, family, redemption, mob talk and plenty of adventure ensue on their daring trip around NJ to find certain birds to win the competition.
Rich in descriptive New Jersey landscape, as well as enhanced by beautiful bird drawings by local artist, Thomas Baumann, this book has a story to tell and one would be remiss in passing it by. John Hartmann can weave a tale, making you want to don binoculars and search out every bird in New Jersey while waiting for his next story or book to come out. Well done, I give it five stars on creativity, story, character development, and inspiration.

Well done, John! 

No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...