Friday, September 19, 2014

Book subject obsession

What's all this shame and agitated jabberwocky with  book subject obsessions? 

There's no shame in it, that's what.

I love certain subjects and buy all the books about that subject until I feel I have had enough of the same information. If a new book is published on said subject. I. Am. Done. It is mine to buy immediately. If it's a new conspiracy book  on that said subject then I. AM. REALLY. DONE.  I will buy the crap out of that book and read it in one sitting. Gnawing on a cheek. There's always blood after. 
 What brings us to that same subject time and time again? My mom loves Henry VIII. I am not sure after today, I mean, I did tell her he had really gross cellulitis, not to mention a bit brain damage from that infamous jostling accident. She said NO I said YEAH and on it went. Though in the end her love for the subject of all things Henry and his is octo wives is right up her alley and any book that is pumped out she is there. Donning a hat with a tiny white feather gracing the top. (I have gone too far on this, I know.) 

I asked my book group what their obsessions were and it was a lively discussion. Some felt a bit shamed about their choices but I told all of them, "I am yelling in my head NO,  stop feeling shame!!" (or something like that) It's okay to like a subject  that  feeds your curiosity. This is how we learn. This is how we jump genres. If you read fiction all the time and say you want to read everything Kardashian. Then get out there and buy up all the books, ALL THE BOOKS, I yell! Kim is even pumping out a new "Selfie" book. Seriously. You just entered the biography/autobiography genre, congratulations!

There is no shame in having a book subject fixation. I have several. As you can see in my photo of my book shelf, Princess Di reigns. I mean the woman reigns. And I could not fit in the huge coffee table books, plus several paperbacks about her as well, in the photo. And I just can't take a picture of books about my Di in my Kindle. That would be completely ridiculous.

I also love every Dominick Dunne book that he ever wrote. Rest in Peace my great high society murder-mystery-trial-fiction/non fiction-friend. You have made me so very happy for so many years. 

What else?
I read everything Laura IngallsWilder.
All Gretel Ehrlich's books. The Solace of Open Spaces. I will write about that this weekend.
I read one Ann Rule true crime book a year usually during the bleak months of winter.
And  I read one Elin Hilderbrand book during the sunny months summer.
and many many more obsessions rest on my shelves.

Never fear your curiosity, there's no shame in reading your obsession, or any book really. I mean the entire Mommy World brandished Fifty Shades of Grey like a Olympian Gymnast with a gold medal. It's all okay. Trust me.


No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...