Monday, October 13, 2014

Hello Fall, goodbye power reading

Fall is the busiest time, planning out the last quarter of the year with parties, appointments and the holidays. Most of my family happen to have  birthdays in October and November. This leaves reading time to a few stolen moments a day. I said goodbye to the long hours of summer reading...Hello Fall, goodbye power reading.

AND this is when all the Fall books arrive and they are usually the best books of the year.

So many books to read and my TBR list since 1985 or so seems to be taller than my house.
Unfortunately, I cannot finish my friend E's book, which she was so kind enough to let me borrow on my Kindle, I will return to it soon. And I have set the Zoo book down for a while. I need a blizzard to settle down with that book. I scramble my books around a lot and from what I hear of late, this is normal activity of most readers these days. 
So right now I am reading: 
Very interesting mystery chilly-thriller. The setting is Vermont and NYC in the 50's which makes one think, ho hum, what could be so great about that kind of a mystery-thriller back in the day?  But that is what makes this book work. When we think of the 50's  we think wholesome and goodness nary edginess or murder. This book has all that and more! ( I sound like one of those  old Channel 17 commercial)
It's very good and I won't even begin to compare it to Gone Girl  but...(said mumbling) it is a book where most of the characters are unlikeable ...which is to say there are many books where most of the characters are unlikeable but the plot is so compelling..so why do we always compare these books to Gone Girl? Don't answer, I already know the answer, it's a damn good book.) I will review Speak Softly, She Can Hear when I am finished which will be soon if the pumpkins don't get in the way.
Second book I am sort of plucking through: 
I want to review this for so many reasons. So I will leave it for now. So far, it's incredibly good. I see I put an audiobook up, I am sure it's wonderfully read by Susan Sarandon and Julia Ormond, I almost wish I did buy it in Audiobook.
Today I have some time to catch up on my reading while the H winterizes his garden. A perfectly great day to do such a thing with no sun and a mild chill.
Until we meet again.

Photo taken by me

No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...