Sunday, January 24, 2016

How to get your reading mojo back.

 


Hello! 

A blizzard means one thing, lots of reading. I managed to catch up on all my favorite book blogs as well as my book pages on Facebook. I started My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout, it's beautifully written, stark but rich in story.  That's where I am, (thank you Mother Nature you have helped me restart my good reading habits once again.) I've been working on it but the snow created a perfect jumpstart. 

Earlier this month, I decided to read for an hour a night no matter how tired I was as working full time learning new things and meeting new people was (still is! exhausting. But keeping a sense of self when I got home is important so I made sure I indulged nightly. There are zillions of articles about how to get your reading mojo back but this is what I am doing to not feel so overwhelmed with seemingly endless TBR piles as my mojo kicked back in. 


  • Since I am a huge advocate of crossing genres I thought it would be a safe bet to stick to my favorite genre so I wouldn't lose my way again. Fiction. Particularly fiction with subjects I can read without burning up too many brain cells. Or complicated but on topics I like or relate to. 
  • Place all my other genres in order with the book I want to read the most at the top of the pile or list for later reading. That way I am organized when I am are ready to take on other genres. 
  • Signed off of Bookperk and similar discounted emailing book sales sites. After a long period of receiving emails those books make the rounds in the sales department, quite often. The less clutter of sale books taking up space, the better. 
  • I formulated a change on my book group (temporarily) by listing what books members have  read and less "Coming Soon" books so we don't feel even more overwhelmed. 
  • Created a new Goodreads account to start afresh. 
  • Left out the only book I am reading. 
  • If you have a monkey mind like me, keep a Post It note in your book and nake tiny comments to remind you where you are when you return the next day, I've found this to be very helpful. 
  • With instant gratification reigning  in this climate it's hard to sit and read for long periods of time. As in all things, when you lose your reading mojo, you can get it back but it takes work. And a few strategies. You may not get a blizzard but all is not lost! Good Luck! -C. 

No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...