Saturday, November 28, 2015

Holiday Book Gifts for 2015 Part 1


Every year it's getting harder to buy  for your book nerd family members and friends unless you know exactly what they want. And usually they have eight hundred plus books in their Kindle making them sigh with a mournful face while whispering, "I for real, seriously, totally (insert a word like that) don't know what book I want" leaving you with that awful, what do I buy this person??? They are the impossible readers. So I found a few books here and there under many sites with the blaring:  "Great Gifts" for 2015. 

I had bought myself  Pioneer Girl as seen above. It's huge, like, text book huge and quite lovely if you are a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan. I think I have read every book out there explaining her life over and over but this book is solid. A huge sit down and read what you want to read anywhere in the book kind of book, like say, a text book! Your recipient will be quite happy with your gift. Forever.


The roots of the Texas Stoneware. Hard to get book (as it said on one website) but worth it if someone you love likes a bit of history on stoneware, personally, I would love to have this book. Recommended by the NYT book critics.
 

I JUST looked this book up, Jenny Lawson hails it among other writers (in advance) so it must be good, it must be funny and I am going straight to her blog to check her out. Every year a book lover must receive one funny book for the holidays. It's usually the first book I will read in desolate January when life seems like the Grinch has sucked out all the twinkle lights and sparkly cookies for the rest of time. I will definitely hint hint hint for this one to arrive in my stocking. (Though I must confess, I am becoming weary of snark but sometimes.. just some.. times... you need it.)


This audio collection seems to be a pretty good deal for when you are gathered around the fire while the gloom in the winter is hanging over you like death. You know, those moments in life where you feel like you are in the early forties gathered ye all together freezing to death, hungry, in your stone hut listening to a family member tell everyone a five hundred mile story on war and loss? Yes, this is it. I think it's great. I wish I had a longer commute to work (not really but for this, yes.) And that description above? I think I have lived through a few of those family gatherings.


Pic from Bloomies, full credit there. This is an adorable book. A baby touchy feely book about being an owl. Love the stuffy toy too AND the cover. (I am sucker for book covers that's just how it is.)


I have no idea what this is about. None. I will look it up right now....... this is what Amazon had to say...

Rajiv Joseph is one of today’s most acclaimed young playwrights. The winner of numerous awards, including an NEA Award for Best Play and a Whiting Writers Award, he is an artist to watch. This volume gathers together for the first time his three major works to date.

Included herein are his latest play, Gruesome Playground Injuries, which charts the intersection of two lives using scars, wounds, and calamity as the mile markers to explore why people hurt themselves to gain another’s love and the cumulative effect of such damage; Animals Out of Paper, a subtle, elegant, yet bracing examination of the artistic impulse and those in its thrall, which follows a world-famous origamist as she becomes the unwitting mentor to a troubled young prodigy, even as she must deal with her own loss of inspiration; and Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo, a darkly comedic drama that looks on as the lives of two American soldiers, an Iraqi translator, and a tiger intersect on the streets of Baghdad.

I would read this. Yes.



This is a gorgeous book. A special needs child opens up the world to a giant who refuses to have children in his garden. You. Can't Go. Wrong. Here.

First of all, I adore the cover. Second. It's a family drama and to be honest, it's not the best book to give at the holidays, never mind,  but know this! It's on sale for Kindle! (TBR for sure.)


This is fabulous, and I think it would be a perfect gift. I will copy the Amazon description here (I am pressed for time, I apologize.) 

This historic volume showcases tribal cultures around the world. With globalization, these societies are to be prized for their distinctive lifestyles, art and traditions. They live in close harmony with nature, now a rarity in our modern era. Jimmy Nelson not only presents us with stunning images of customs and artifacts, but also offers insightful portraits of people who are the guardians of a culture that they--and we--hope will be passed on to future generations in all its glory. Nelson's large-plate field camera captures every intricate detail and fine nuance for posterity. What's more, this splendid pageantry is set against a vivid backdrop of some of the world's most pristine landscapes. English/German/French edition.

Just a few books to start your list for giving to those that are hell to buy for. I used to go to B and N when they had fabulous coffee table books during the holidays. I always found one for every single book lover I know. I wish they still had zillions out there but sadly, they don't. So it's a big job looking for them online, but Amazon, B and N and other big places do have a nice collection. Moving on to my fourth week of my new job which is keeping me from online life, and from reading but not from keeping my nose into what is up around the book world. Have a good one!

No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...