Thursday, November 13, 2014

Book Gifts and Bookmarks



My Canadian friend sent me this book the other day. When I took it out of the mailing package I squealed with joy, not only because it was from her (she has wonderful taste in books and I love her) but that it was used. I loved getting used books as gifts. You are sharing a story you love by passing it on. I looked over the front and back covers, peeked inside and noticed  "Jessie" written in pencil on the first page upper right corner. Who is Jessie? Did she like the book? My friend told me she has handed copies of this book out to other friends. which makes it very special. To love a story so much that you find yourself handing it off to many people who in turn, you pray, hand copies off to more story lovers. 

My friend gave me a bookmark as well (a hedgehog, long story on that one) which made the surprise complete. Throwing in a bookmark is the loveliest idea. My grandmom, Gan, used to buy already cut bookmarks and yarn (for the tassel bit) and paint flowers on them to hand out to everyone she knew. They are like gold and since she made so many I had a pretty good stash that has ended up all over the world sent to people I love. Bookmarks are personal, and when a friend nails it, it's a treasured gift.


I have also used cards (intact or just the cover), receipts, newspaper clippings, cardboard, ribbon, jute, bills, and  many bought bookmarks over the years I wish I could gather them all up for photo but  they are holding court in many books, waiting for me to return.


One of my best finds after a used book store haul was a yellowed receipt from Barnes and Noble. Whoever left this receipt bought terrific reads. I wondered who it was, did they have a latte  and languish over their soon to be purchases or did they buy those books in a mad fury as we all do every once in a while. No matter, it was my bookmark in that particular book for the duration. 

I find that book gifts from loved ones seem to resonate with me more than any "new" item on the planet. I appreciate everything that has ever been given to me, but books and bookmarks rank at the top of my list. I treat them as if they were emeralds.

What are your favorite bookmarks and what else do you use to mark a page?


Photos by me, and afghan/floral bookmarks made by my Gan.

No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...