Sunday, September 14, 2014

Letting a book go and my first audio experience


There are periods in my life when I find a good book and can't seem to finish not because I don't like it but due to the fact that life is too busy for a book that deals with a mix of past, present, and future with a lot of different men with crazy names. This is one of those books in one of those times in my life. So I am putting it on hiatus and will get back to it another time. It is very good though. Just not now.

Here is what I am doing right now.:
My friend, Robin, is the audio book champion of our book group on FB. Never really interested in anything audible I brought up this idea to my husband who said to me with great gusto, let's do it. He has been wanting me to read this book, and the rest of the trilogy for ages. I said with tentative gusto, why not? We bought it and popped it on the Kindle Fire and sat back for a listen. And here is what I experienced the first time listening:
  • I was nervous. How could anyone read that much and not slurp or sneeze or stutter or stammer. I need to know who these readers are. It's a part of the book world I do not know. I did not belong in that world and now I have a toe in that pond and need some information on how these readers do it.
  • I had some mirth go through me when the reader was reading the female characters. After a chapter or two he was somewhat adept I was satisfied. I heard that other books have men and women reading back and forth, I am so not sure on that just yet. I may stick to the lone reader making things up with their  own "voices."
  • He has a lovely voice, this reader. The kind that could lull you into a coma for five years. Do not take a sedative before you tackle this audio book.
  • I knew I could not have read Neuromancer all by myself. I needed this help. I needed my husband to explain a few things as well as me needing the book to come alive. It's just one of those books. I needed it to be more real .. in voice..than in my lap reading silently turning the pages. 
  • William Gibson is a genius. The book is genius. 
  • I will go back for more audio books in the future. I think that this is a one of the best ideas anyone ever had and I DID NOT KNOW! 
  • AND I can Pin while listening. I almost wish I knew how to knit.
  • Plus it's great for your relationship, our coffee breaks are filled with much more chatter than ever before. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

reinventingrobin said...

I told you, it's like learning to multitask READING...which sounds bad, but is SOOOO good when your soul is just missing the grip of a good book...

Cheryl Musgrove said...

I have Pinned about ten boards during this audio experience. It's lovely and even if a book was nearby I am content to listen. Like the old days. Okay I am not that old but I do watch Christmas Story every year and love how they boys listen to the radio every night. :)

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...