Sunday, September 21, 2014

Freckle Juice by Judy Blume

My daughter, C, has Cerebral Palsy. She is twenty but she loves to be read and she really loves to be read to. As far as her cognition goes, she's smart as a whip but has some varying degrees of memory loss among other things.This does not diminish story time.

We picked Freckle Juice by Judy  Blume the other morning. I read a chapter or two to her in the morning while my H gets things together for the day (I just had foot surgery.) I ask her questions after and she has been spot on with her answers. 

Andrew Marcus sits behind Nicky Lane who has a tremendous amount of freckles. The only way that Andrew can get freckles is by paying off the ever cunning Sharon, for fifty cents which is a lot to Andrew. But getting the "recipe" from Sharon is more important than his allowance, he really wants freckles.
After he gets the recipe, he concocts this incredibly .. (it made my stomach lurch like I was on a roller coaster) horrible drink and proceeded from there with a story so poignant you have to praise Blume once  again for reaching out to kids and making them feel better about .. pretty much anything that no one wants to talk about. 
Buy it! For all your kids and their friends. 

C's favorite character: Nicky Lane (boy with freckles)
Least favorite character: Andrew Marcus (probably because he drank the awful concoction that made him sick, she was not having any of that bad behavior.) 
Favorite part of the book: When Sharon pulled her frog faces.
Moral of the story: "I like freckles." 

And the time together is priceless, really. She's a cool kid and knows what she likes (see photo below, the glam sunglasses.)

 Photo taken by Cheryl

~I will be reviewing children's books as well~

No comments:

Starting a new blog.

Hello bookish friends!  I’ve decided to download this blog and move on. The next book blog will have the same name but a whole new vibe.  Af...